Posts tagged processing

This audio-controlled Hockney Delayer sketch works much like the Directional Delayer I posted earlier: a buffer holds a number of video frames, as the screen is made out of a grid of cells, each selecting its bit from a frame in that buffer. How further back?, being mapped to the audio amplitude. (I also added a bit of ‘jitter’, moving and slightly enlarging the cells according to the same audio amplitude.)

My intention here was to translate something like David Hockney’s collages (earlier post) to video. I’m not sure it works. Here’s another example, splicing together different video files. Both share the same audio track, again hastly assembled from TB Arthur’s free sound library, by the way. You can check the code in my Processing 3.x Github repository.

I had a few Processing sketches that I’ve made and never took the trouble to document or record in some way lying around. So here we go: this is a short video with minimal editing that showcases what I called an Audio-controlled Directional Delayer. You can check the code in my Processing 3.x Github repository.

What it does is to render each frame as a set of rows or columns copied from a specific frame in a 150-frame buffer (or more, if you want). From how far back in that buffer will that row or column be retrieved is mapped to the audio input level. Sometimes a high amplitude will also trigger a mode change (horizontal/vertical).

Here’s another example, using a couple of videos I recorded at the local market. The audio track was hastly assembled from TB Arthur’s free sound library, by the way.

I’m spending some time playing with, erm, ImagePlay. Video processing is quite slow, even when compared to Processing, but still it is quite a good learning tool.

Videolab is an educational software piece that teaches and lets users experiment with concepts of digital video technology. It can be used standalone by students or as a lecturing tool by instructors.

I developed this Educational Software project as part of the coursework required for my Digital Media PhD, but I hope it’ll come handy in my own teaching. This prototype was made with Processing 2.08b and was thoroughly tested on Windows, but should work on other systems as well.